- Professor of Ophthalmology at CUMC
Dr. Daniel Casper practices general, medical ophthalmology full-time at Columbia University Medical Center, dividing his time between the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center and the Harkness Eye Institute Faculty Practice. His ophthalmology training, including residency and fellowship, has all been done at Columbia, and he has been affiliated with the university in various capacities since 1986.
After completing his residency, Dr. Casper was a fellow in orbital and oculoplastic Surgery with Dr. Stephen Trokel at Columbia, and along with Dr Linda Chi of the Radiology department, they authored a textbook on orbital diseases and imaging, on which Dr. Casper served as senior editor and illustrator.
Although Dr. Casper practices comprehensive, non-surgical ophthalmology, he specializes in diabetic eye disease, and is Director of Ophthalmology at the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center at Columbia University Medical Center. He is currently a Professor of Ophthalmology at CUMC, and in addition to his patient care responsibilities, he regularly teaches medical students enrolled at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, as well as residents in ophthalmology, internal medicine and family practice medicine, and fellows training in endocrinology.
Areas of Expertise
- General Ophthalmology
- Corneal/External Diseases
- Anterior Segment
- Comprehensive Ophthalmology
- Albany Medical College-Union University, NY
- Internship: Albany Medical Center Hospital, NY
- Residency: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Fellowship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
Education & Training
Edward S. Harkness Eye Institute635 West 165th Street
New York, NY 10032
- For new and current patient appointments, call:
- (212) 305-9535
- (212) 342-5293
Russ Berrie Medical Science Pavilion1150 St. Nicholas Avenue
New York, NY 10032
- For new and current patient appointments, call:
- (212) 851-5494
- (212) 851-5493
Please contact the provider's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, NY Signature, POS, PPO, Signature Administrators, Student Health]
- Affinity [Access (Exchange), Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Amida Care [Special Needs Plan]
- Cigna [EPO, Great West, HMO, POS, PPO]
- Emblem/GHI [HMO, Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Emblem/HIP [ConnectiCare, EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO, Select Care (Exchange), Vytra]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield [Blue Priority, EPO, HMO, Medicare (Mediblue), NYP Employee Plan, Pathway (Exchange), POS, PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HealthPlus [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Fidelis Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Healthfirst [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Local 1199 [Local 1199]
- MagnaCare [MagnaCare]
- Medicare [Traditional Medicare (NY)]
- Multiplan [Multiplan]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty, Medicare Managed Care]
- POMCO [POMCO]
- UnitedHealthcare [Columbia University Employee Plan, Compass (Exchange), EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO]
- VNSNY CHOICE [Medicare Managed Care, SelectHealth]
- WellCare [Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
This provider accepts new patients
Appointment Phone Number: (212) 305-9535
Honors & Awards
2001-2013 Top Doctor, New York-Metro Area 2008-2013 Castle-Connolly Guide, New York Times SuperDoctor
2011-2013 International Association of Ophthalmologists, Top Ophthalmologists in NY (International Association of Healthcare Professionals)
2000-2001 JM Wheeler Outstanding Teacher of the Year, Columbia University, Department of Ophthalmology, NY, NY 1985 Robert Reinecke Award for Research in Ophthalmology, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY
Books and Book Chapters:
Al-Aswad, LA and Casper, DS: Laser Trabeculoplasty. In: Albert, DM and Lucarelli, M, Eds. Clinical Atlas of Procedures in Ophthalmic and Oculofacial Surgery. Oxford University Press, New York; 2012: 308-312.
M, Hitchings, R and Crowston, J, Eds. Glaucoma. Saunders Elsevier, London, UK; 2J009: 165-173.
Bansal, R, Casper, D and Tsai, J: Intraoperative Complications of Trabeculectomy. In: Shaarawy, T, Sherwood,
Casper, DS and Cheung, P: Ophthalmology. In: Russ, A, Endres, S, Eds. Drug Pocket Plus. Börm Bruckmeier Publishing, Hermosa Beach, CA; 2004: 377-407.
Casper, DS and Cheung, P: Ophthalmology. In: Endres, S, Lien, YH, Tyor, WR, Eds. Drug Therapy Pocket. Börm Bruckmeier Publishing, Hermosa Beach, CA; 2003: 235-266.
Casper, DS, Chi, LT, Trokel, SL. Orbital Disease: Imaging & Analysis. Thieme Medical Publishers, NY, NY; 1993.
Rao, R, Jonsson, NJ, Ventura, C, Gelman, R, Lindquist, M, Casper, DS, Chiang, MF: Plus disease in retinopathy of prematurity: diagnostic impact of field of view. Retina. 2012 Jun;32(6):1148-55.
Gelman, SK, Gelman, R, Callahan, AB, Martinez-Perez, ME, Casper, DS, Flynn, JT, Chiang, MF: Plus Disease in Retinopathy of Prematurity: Quantitative Analysis of Standard Published Photograph. Arch Ophthalmol. 2010 Sep;128(9):1217-20.
Chiang MF, Gelman R, Martinez-Perez ME, Du YE, Casper DS, Currie LM, Shah PD, Starren J, Flynn JT: Image analysis for retinopathy of prematurity diagnosis. J AAPOS 2009 Oct;13(5):438-45.
Chiang, MF, Gelman, R, Williams, SL, Lee, J-Y, Casper, DS, Martinez-Perez, ME, Flynn, JT: Plus Disease in Retinopathy of Prematurity: Development of Composite Images by Quantification of Expert Opinion. Invest Ophth Vis Sci. September (2008) 49(9): 4064–4070. (Epub 2008 Apr 11)
Chiang MF, Hwang JC, Yu AC, Casper DS, Cimino JJ, Starren JB: Reliability of SNOMED-CT Coding by Three Physicians using Two Terminology Browsers. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. (2006) 131-135.
Hwang, JC, Yu, AC, Casper, DS, Starren, J, Cimino, JJ, Chiang, MF: Representation of Ophthalmology Concepts by Electronic Systems: Intercoder Agreement among Physicians Using Controlled Terminologies. Ophthalmology (2006)113:511-519.
Chiang, MF, Casper, DS, Cimino, JJ, Starren, J: Representation of Ophthalmology Concepts by Electronic Systems: Adequacy of Controlled Medical Terminologies. Ophthalmology (2005)112:175-183 (Editorial 173-174).
Zhou,W, Hirsch, M, Junk, AK, Casper, DS, Braunstein, R, David, J, Worgul, BV: Evaluation of Lenticonus in Alport’s Syndrome: Quantitative Scheimpflug Analysis. Ophthalmologica (2003)217:189-193.
Casper, DS, Simon, JW, Nelson, LB, Porter, IH, Lichtenstein, SB: Familial Simple Ectopia Lentis:A Case Study. J Ped Ophthalmol & Strabismus (1985) 22(6):227-230.
Casper, DS, and Reif-Lehrer, L: Effects of Alpha-aminoadipate Isomers on the Morphology of the Isolated Chick Embryo Retina. Invest Ophth Vis Sci (1983) 24:1480-1488.
Casper, DS, Trelstad, RL, Reif-Lehrer, L: Age-Dependent Effects of Glutamate on Photoreceptor Cells of the Isolated Chick Embryo Retina. J Neuropath Exp Neurol (1982) 41 (5):522-535.
Casper, DS, Trelstad, RL, Reif-Lehrer, L: Glutamate-Induced Cellular Injury in Isolated Chick Embryo Retina: Müller Cell Localization of Initial Effects. J Comp Neurol (1982) 209:79-90.
Blanks, JC, Reif-Lehrer, L, Casper, DS: Effects of Monosodium Glutamate on the Isolated Retina of the Chick Embryo as a Function of Age: A Morphological Study. Exp Eye Res (1981) 32:105-124.